What is Sterling Silver?


Sterling silver jewellery is not pure silver; in fact sterling silver is 92.5% silver. Pure silver or as it’s also know “fine silver” is too soft and in practical to be used for jewellery. The remaining 7.5% metal used in the makeup of sterling silver is a copper which is used for its ability to harden the silver.

This is also the legal standard of purity for most sterling silver jewellery set by the assay offices in Britain to guarantee the specific quality of the metal. Sterling Silver jewellery therefore will be stamped with 925 or 92.5 to identify its quality. 

How to care for your silver jewellery


Copper is used for its ability to harden the metal but unfortunately it is also regarded as the primary cause as to why sterling silver has a tendency to tarnish over time. Tarnishing results in a darkening (discolouring) of the sterling silver that occurs due to a reaction from exposure to oxygen, gasses and or other substances.

Silver Supermarket offer you the following top tips on how to take care of your sterling silver jewellery to keep that beautiful shine.

- Store your sterling silver jewellery in a dry, cool place. It is also recommended to store each piece separate.
- Polish your sterling silver jewellery often with Silver Supermarkets specially made silver polishing cloth (do not use an abrasive cloth). Our polishing cloth is available to purchase during the checkout process.
- Avoid direct contact with hairsprays, deodorants, perfumes etc. We recommend that you put on your jewellery last.